What is a Sitemap?
A sitemap is a file where you provide information about the pages, videos, and other files on your site, and the relationships between them. Search engines like Google read this file to more intelligently crawl your site. A sitemap tells Google which pages and files you think are important in your site, and also provides valuable information about these files: for example, for pages, when the page was last updated, how often the page is changed, and any alternate language versions of a page.
Generation of Sitemaps
You can generate your sitemap in WordPress using any of these plugins
· WordPress SEO by Yoast
· Google XML Sitemaps
· All in One SEO Pack
· Premium SEO Pack
· Better WordPress Google XML Sitemaps
· Sitemap Generator
Steps to be followed:
- Sign in to Google Search Console
- In the sidebar, select your website
- Click on ‘Sitemaps’ The ‘Sitemaps’ menu is under the ‘Index’ section. If you do not see ‘Sitemaps’, click on ‘Index’ to expand the section.
- Enter sitemap_index.xml / sitemap.xml in the ‘Add a new sitemap’ field to complete the sitemap URL
- Click Submit Note: It may take a couple of days for your website to appear on google search.